#RAMPAGINGRHINOCEROS is the biggest crash of cardboard rhinoceros ever! Drop-in to our craft based mask making workshop and create your very own rhino head using our innovative flatpack design. Then join the rhino rampage and be part of the pandemonium! This family friendly spectacle examines extinction and remembers the white rhino through this celebratory outdoor arts event.
WARNING! You may have to take home your very own cardboard #RAMPAGINGRHINOCEROS head.
Commissioned and managed by Pump House Gallery, part of the OutHouse programme, delivering off-site activities and workshops across the borough of Wandsworth. Funded by Pump House Gallery, Wandsworth Council and Battersea Power Station Foundation and Arts Council England – Grants for the Arts.
Kids Create Club is supported by Enable Arts on behalf on Wandsworth Council and is a partnership between Pump House Gallery, Puppets with GUTS and the ROSE Community Centre with thanks to St George’s Primary, Griffin Primary, Yvonne Carr Centre and Carey Gardens Estate Coop.
BAC Audience Responses
“Endless possibilities… Love this!”
“Great! Just wonderfully engaging and funny.”
“I have never been genuinely frightened of a puppet, until now. Amazing… honestly loved it!”
“Fantastic! Puppets look so life like, can be used for amazing things. The puppeteers were incredible – lots of hard work must have been put in.”
“…THEY ARE AWESOME!”
Artistic Director of SO Festival and Magnetic Events, 2013
- Minimum arena ~parade route accessible public space;
- Set-up time: 2 hours. Take-down time: 1 hour;
- Dressing Room for 3 x people with tables, chairs,
toilets, drinking water;
- Onsite Workshop Tent 4m x 4m x 2m with tables and chairs;
- Transportation plus driver from London;
- 3 x cast travel by van, train or plane from London.
- Fee- Rhino Mask Workshop £800 fee per day + £2 per rhino mask supplied.
- Promoter to supply workshop venue with tables & chairs, mask making volunteers x 5, transport, substance and accommodation expenses, local percussion group;
- Performance Styles: Mask, Roving, Interactive, Education, Engagement Spectacle, Visual Theatre, Music, Relational, Non-verbal, Improvised;
- Length: 2 to 3 hour workshop with 15min parade with two percussion musicians.
- Opportunity for value added taster workshops and bespoke Community Engagement Programme;
- Scale: Small to Medium Scale Outdoor Performance within minimum arena ~parade accessible public space;
- 3 to 4 person roving touring group;
- Date Created: 2017 and available for touring;
- Audience Capacity: 100-2000 with low level audience interaction;
- Audience Type: Families, Children, Young People;
- Themes: Environment, Extinction, Animals.
Cast & Creative
Artistic Director and original concept: Ivan Thorley
Lead Designer and Puppet Maker: Nick Barnes
Engagement and Workshop Leader: Oliver Hymans
Workshop Assistant: Charlotte Quartermaine
Design Consultation: Caroline Bowman
Performers: Iskandar Sharrazuddin, Sam Clark, Jane Crawshaw
Pumphouse Gallery- Participation Manager: Greer MacKeogh